Los Angeles advanced dentistry office offers tooth removal surgery
Pacific Implant Group wants to save every tooth, but that isn’t always possible. There are times when there is no other option but to perform a tooth removal surgery.
Reasons extraction may be necessary:
- Infection: Sometimes damage to the tooth will extend to the center of the tooth, or the pulp. This can lead to infection. If we determine that a root canal will not be enough, we will extract the tooth to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Decay: Sometimes a tooth has decayed to a point it can’t be saved.
- Gum disease: Advanced periodontal disease can cause the gums and bones around a tooth to deteriorate, loosening the tooth. If there is no way to anchor the tooth, we will remove it.
Tooth removal procedure:
- Before the tooth is extracted, a local anesthetic will be used. If multiple teeth are being removed or the tooth is impacted, a general anesthetic might be used. We do this to make the procedure as comfortable as possible for you.
- Using forceps, the tooth will be gently rocked back and forth to finish loosening it from the bone and ligaments surrounding it.
- After the extraction, we may need to place stitches at the site to close the gum edges. We will then place gauze over it to help stop any bleeding.
- Take any antibiotics or painkillers prescribed.
- An ice pack on the outside of your mouth can help with any pain.
- Salt water mouth rinses after 24 hours.
- Soft food diet.
- Avoid smoking.
- No using a straw or anything that uses a sucking motion.
We want all our patients to have optimum oral health. Sometimes, removing teeth is the only way to accomplish this. Call us today and we will get you started on the healthiest, happiest smile of your life! (818) 975-3888.