Los Angeles area dentist explains the considerations for wisdom tooth extraction
Nearly ten million wisdom teeth are extracted each year. Wisdom teeth that have the potential to cause future dental problems are often removed. Dr. Fadi Elzayat of Pacific Implant Group in North Hollywood, CA performs wisdom tooth extraction when necessary for Los Angeles area residents.
Wisdom tooth extractions are often considered preventative measures to protect your dental health. The removal of wisdom teeth may be recommended for the following reasons:
- They are impacted or infected.
- There is potential for or already is damage to surrounding teeth.
- Future dental problems may arise if wisdom teeth crowd the arch.
Ideally, your dentist can help you maintain your natural teeth without any future problems occurring. That is not always possible. However, your dentist strives to do what is best for you. A complete examination and digital x-rays help him weigh possible options to determine the best treatment plan for your overall health. If surgical extractions are recommended, there are considerations to keep in mind:
- For any surgery, benefits need to outweigh risks. Wisdom tooth extraction and avoidance of future dental issues should be of more importance than a possible infection.
- Tooth extractions involve a form of anesthesia to keep you comfortable. Be sure to inform your doctor if you have had problems with anesthesia in the past.
- There is a short recovery period following wisdom tooth extraction. Patients need to adhere to their dentist’s advice on how to care for the exposed area to ensure optimal results. Medication may also be prescribed to avoid infection.
To learn more about wisdom tooth extraction, contact Dr. Fadi Elzayat at Pacific Implant Group. Our practice treats each patient individually to determine the best course of action to obtain the healthy outcomes. Schedule your consultation today by calling (818) 975-3888.